Saturday 6 September 2014

Exploring My Options...


What the...?

Why am I lying on a bed, in the middle of a field, in my new pajamas? (Okay. I guess it beats being naked, but...)

Oh, wait. I know where I am.

I'm in my new "home". Nana is very lucky she doesn't have 'smart' phone service back in the village. There's a lot I'd like to say to her right now.

Like:

Could someone tell the sun to dial it back a few watts? I'd really love a couple more hours of sleep.

Ugh. I guess I'd better get dressed before someone comes by and sees me like this. (No doubt it would be some creepy old man, with the luck I've been having. FYI: The stars do not grant wishes. I wished for a house all night and I still woke up here. Don't let those shiny little things fool you.)


I had to cut my grumbling session short. The sudden urge to pee took me over, and I ran to the gym.

On the plus side, after that pesky morning jog, there's no need for me to stay here and exercise. At least, not right now.

On the downside, my stomach seems to think it's a yeti. (Pro-tip: Don't mess with yetis. They bite.)

Time to find some breakfast!


Since it's close, I decide to return to Blue Velvet for some chips. Yum, yum. This is the breakfast of champions! (Frugal champions, anyway. The food industry should name 'free' a nutrient.)

Hey, I'm not gonna slam this place! It serves food and this time I had no trouble getting inside, even though it's only 9 a.m.

What more could I ask? (Okay: I could ask for chocolate cake with blueberry filling. Point taken.)


Remember what I said about fierce competition? This girl isn't all that pretty, but she had no shame and totally butted in on my conversation with the bartender, Angel. How rude!

I'd rather avoid having my morning end in a cloud of dust and fists, so I think I'll ditch Blue Velvet for now. I've heard there's a nice library nearby. I'd like to get a head start on that programming guide Natalia ordered for me. I know the extra edge will be helpful tomorrow when I start my new job...

...Even if I'm stuck being a Live Chat Support Agent to start.

Whatever that is?


I walk up to a table where several computers have been set up. I pause before taking a seat.

"Mind if I sit here?" I ask.

When no one says anything back, I take that as a yes...


...Yes, I can sit.

Unfortunately, there is no computer here. I guess I'll read a book instead.

Oh, goodie. I could have done this back home in the village.

How disappointing.

Eventually, though one of the people on the computers gets up and goes away.

At last, the moment I've been waiting for can begin.

This is my Cowplant. My Voodoo Doll. My Potion of Youth.

This is the machine which will let me make 'magic' happen.


Now I just have to figure out how the crazy thing works. I wonder what happens if I push this button...


Yes! I did it! Woo-hoo!

That's the program that my book says I need to open to start learning Programming.

Now, let me see...


It takes a few minutes for me to get use to how this program is laid out. But once I do, I'm able to work all the options and I use my book to do the exercises that are suppose to teach me how to make programs, rather than just navigate them.

About an hour later, I'm puzzling over how to do something the book wants me to in order to change a variable. A lady who appears to be part funky haired hippie and part Nana sits down next to me. We get talking about my upcoming first day of work and learning how to program, which is pretty cool. By the end, she has pointed out an option on the screen that I misunderstood.

Problem solved! The program I was trying to make has been completed.

And the solution to my problem was so...easy. I'm shocked I didn't think of it myself!

*+*+*

After heading back to the gym for a brisk shower and a bathroom break, I decide it's time to pay a visit to Oasis Springs. I've had this burning, itching desire to do some dancing, and rumor has it The Rattlesnake Juice Bar has a jukebox.

As I'm making my way through Oasis Springs, though, I decide that it's too early in the evening to hit the Rattlesnake yet. The Solar Lounge, though? That's fair game.

And who should I find there but my buddy the bartender, Angel Betts.


I bet you can tell something is different today. We're actually getting to talk without ten other ladies cutting in on us. Now, what does one say once they have a handsome man alone? Where I come from men approach first, but things seem a bit more laid back here...


After Angel wandered off to do his own thing, I made my way around the bar to get a better view of the tricks the mixologist working the bar was doing. I ended up sitting next to a man named Zachery. He dances far better than I would have expected, given his age.

I have a strong suspicion that I'd best lay off the Juice tonight.


Zachery doesn't seem to get my sense of humor. When he actually puts his hands on his ears while I'm talking, it's pretty obvious this is going absolutely nowhere.

I've stalled long enough. Time to get where I was going while the night is still young.


This place is kinda snazzy. I want to come back here and sip something sweet and topped with a lemon wedge someday. But for now, I suppose I'll settle for going inside. Maybe it's a good omen that the patio umbrellas match my new dress.


It doesn't take me long to find the jukebox. It takes even less time for a crowd to gather and for mass dancing to ensue! Yes! This is what I've needed.

Once i've danced myself out, I wander over to the bar for yet another free bag of chips. I take them over to the couch and sit with a bunch of people I just danced with. This is...nice.


 I work in the morning and I need to get home to have a good night sleep. But before I turn in, a few minutes of fun playing games on my phone. I need to find a way to get myself to relax... I'm so nervous!


If every day I spend here is as crazy as this one, I'm going to need to spend more time at the gym. I'm beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment